Serving Our Brownsburg Community Needs
Now, in our hurried cadence and limited time, people often ask about ways they can serve the church and others by offering their talents. Week to week, there are, certainly, needs that can be met in this way, including some of the following actual needs – and if YOU want to help in any of these ways, just contact the pastors or offer your availability.
- Giving a ride to person(s) to the grocery store or to a medical appointment. Pastor Todd gives rides to a handful of people regularly. As he approaches retirement, he needs a few volunteers to help him serve these needs.
- Bringing groceries or supplies to homebound individuals. Pastor Jennifer and other Calvary members serve as food pantry proxies each month, as well as bringing items to individuals. Can you help with this vital outreach?
- Providing leadership and/or presence at a worship service in a nursing home or assisted living community. Prior to the Covid pandemic, Calvary hosted two monthly worship services at local facilities – and those facilities are now interested in regular worship services again. But, we need volunteers to make that possible. Can you play the piano and lead a few familiar hymns? Can you lead a short devotion? Can you organize volunteers monthly for the worship service? If so, Pastor Todd wants to hear from you.
Calvary has long had a place in the Brownsburg community meeting needs, and your time and talent are valuable to someone. If you have questions or would like more information about any of these opportunities, please talk to a pastor or call the church office at 317-852-2541. Thanks for serving.
I Want to Serve!
Donate items or money to help build bathroom move-in kits to be used when families graduate into their own homes. Each bathroom kit contains:
- Towels and washcloths
- Trash can
- Hand soap
- Toilet paper
- Shower curtain and hooks
- Toilet brush and bowl cleaner
Donate individual items, a complete kit, or money to help Calvary purchase kit items in bulk.
The Impact of Family Promise Stability Builders
In 2020, the Stability Builders Network and Family Promise:
- ended homelessness for 103 families;
- prevented homelessness for 601 families;
- provided stability services to 2,674 families!
The impact of our coordinated community response to end and prevent homelessness in Hendricks County has tripled in the last 12 months! It might be hard to comprehend the desperation, depth and volume of need in our community, but it is here and we are so grateful for your partnership ensuring everyone has a home they can afford and the opportunity for stability.
The Family Promise 2020 Stability Builders Impact report is attached and additional information can be found here.
Family Promise is providing FREE tax filings during February and March. Please share the attached flyer or here.
Garden Of Eatin' Missions Garden
The Garden of Eatin' has been officially closed for the season. The Garden of Eatin' had a fantastic year after a very wet spring.
All of this is grown organically and maintained by a few faithful Calvary gardeners and delivered to Messiah Lutheran's Food Pantry on Saturday mornings.
Here is what your donations of money, seeds and time created:
30 gallons of yellow beans
25 gallons of yellow squash
20 gallons of cucumbers
10 gallons of carrots
5 gallons of lettuce and spinach
4 gallons of radish
3 gallons of beets and turnips
bunches of basil
1 gallon of tomatoes
One great way Calvary has utilized our vast property and campus is the Garden Of Eatin’ located just behind the playground at the back of the church building. As the garden continues to grow (literally!), new volunteers are needed to keep it watered, weeded and overall maintained.
All of the produce grown goes to local food pantries, particularly in support of Messiah Lutheran.
If you are interested in participating, please complete the form 'I Want to Serve!' above to get connected with our Calvary UMC Missions Team for further information.